“Effective education is based on moderating successful experiences within a high-functioning, aspiring, and nurturing community. Every child has limitless possibilities and the ability to strive for excellence.”
Each student in Sistema Tulsa benefits from a rich music curriculum that nurtures a caring, cooperative and joyful community. This is our flagship beginning level program. Upon admission, students are auditioned for aptitude and readiness in either strings, band or chorus. We will make our best effort to match a student's choice. All of our learning tracks are equally meaningful and provide a strong foundation for musical success in the future.
- Program is open to all Elementary age students in the Tulsa area (public school, private, parochial and homeschool).
- Our beginning program serves students grades 3-6
- Students from Chouteau, Mark Twain, Lanier, Macarthur, and Lee Elementary are eligible to ride a TPS bus to our site each Tuesday and Thursday after school during the academic year. Students from any other school are also eligible to apply but do not ride the bus. (Please note that we can only confirm bus transportation if there is a substantial turn-out from each of these schools).
- The curriculum and learning are cumulative throughout the year and beyond.
- Public performances in many different formats are held to showcase progress.
Who can apply?
Any beginner or late beginner through early intermediate student can participate in our Elementary Programs. We recommend that students and families discern together whether they can participate fully in the program for an entire year and that their students are comfortable learning in group settings. They should also consider that the process of learning music involves discipline, patience, and perseverance. For this same reason, both parents and students must be ready invest time and energy in this endeavor.
What is a typical instructional day look and sound like?
Those who ride the bus will enjoy a snack time and choose musical and non-musical electives from 3:00-3:45 p.m. Electives include physical activity, quiet activity, study hall, Orff instruments, recorders, or ukulele. Then all students proceed to a learning rotation that includes their main instrument focus (strings, band or chorus) plus training in music fundamentals through singing. We end the instructional day at 5:15 p.m.
How much does it cost?
Our programs are tuition free. Transportation, instruments and instructional materials are provided.
When does the program meet?
Every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 to 5:15 p.m. at 1301 S. Boston Avenue (Jubilee Entrance).
Can I join if I go to a school not listed above?
Yes, but if you do not ride the bus you'll be known as an at-large student; and you must arrive at 3:30 p.m.
What is the application process?
- Students/Guardians fill out an application form online.
- School Principal or Teacher fill out a recommendation form online.
- Students attend the Experience Sistema! workshop on August 16-17 (Fall Admission Only)
- Students/Guardians receive a handbook, calendar, and sign release forms.